Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bless Les


There are always certain elements that I seek when listening to my daily dose of jazz.  First and foremost, the trap kit and optional percussionist have to chug steady while switching up little by little on the offbeat stabs and shadow notes. The piano, of course, must be lush, spaced out (literally and figuratively) and harmonic, but also rhythmic at the same time, and the bass line has to walk the whole thing through. And anything on top of the rhythm--like the horns or vocals--has just got to be right. But you just know when it is--right, that is.  In the case of Les McCann's music, it always seems to have all the right elements, regardless of era.


And the more I listen to him on various sittings, I see how much of an influence he's had on jazz bands, hard bossa groups and even up to the most recent producers sampling the classic breaks found on so many of his LPs. So for my first post, there is no better musician to highlight than Les McCann.


For me, the best thing about Les's albums are that each one takes you on a rhythmic and melodic quest, and in doing so, he liberates you from labels and preconceived notions of what jazz music should and shouldn't be. "Layers" is one of those albums that is funky as hell, but at the same time incredibly introspective, and, dare I say, spiritual? It speaks to me differently with each listen.

I'm still learning about all the sounds of Les Mc Cann, but the more I speak to friends, record diggers and jazz appreciators about his music, the more I see how underrated the man is as an all around artist and musician. So the next time you're in a record shop and see one of Les' records, pick it up and get familiar. It might speak to you.

-KidGusto