Thursday, April 10, 2014

Looking Back the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival and the Works of Chico Hamilton.

Every now and again, I make it a point to revisit Jazz on a Summer's Day. It is a documentary about the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958. It amazes me how many incredible performers were on the bill that particular year. The highlight for me is the impromptu jam at 13:20. Instant Chills. Also, the session at 50 minutes, with the Chico Hamilton Quintet is absolute perfection to my ears.




When Hamilton passed in late 2013, I thought about the first time I bought one of his records from Lokee around 2002. We were at his friend's house in DC, and I will never forget how struck I was by Hamilton's infectious rhythms. Since then, they have carried on and within me.

Even before my introduction to his work as both a drummer and bandleader, I had heard his music through by way of all the rap acts who had sampled his music. Below are some tunes that stand out for me, which I'd like to share with you.



 De La Soul Sampled Chico's 'A Rose for Booker'  (Sample appears at 0:24)




In addition to the more traditional chugging jazz rhythms he laid down, he always had a skill for incorporating latin and bossa nova rhythms into jazz, which only made me gravitate to him even more. After all, I have been a drummer for over twenty years, with a strong influence of Brazilian and Latin Jazz styles.