Sunday, October 5, 2014

From The Archives (Do We Have Those?)

I've been recording a lot of LPs over the last 6 months, and the most pleasurable part has been revisiting (and sometimes--embarrassingly--discovering) songs that I tended to skip over in favor of hits. In that spirit, here are a few songs that I had forgotten about until today:



Betty Wright - I Love The Way You Love

Yes, the album and song share a name. Yes, this seems to indicate just how much promise somebody thought the song had. Yes, there was even a 45 on Alston--you know, just in case folks like me missed the cues offered by the album title.

Still, I managed to miss it. I mean, I missed it good, so good, in fact, that I would not have even been able to have told you what album it was from before today. So, yeah, I missed it good. Though, perhaps, this missing is not so good, since it's so good. The song I mean. So, uh, yeah, I missed it bad. But I do. . . no, really, I do have a good excuse for missing it so bad . . . if, you know, that helps. Here it goes. . .

It was "Clean Up Woman's" fault. The supernatural force that is "Clean Up Woman" made " I Love the Way You Love" disappear into the sonic ether . . .

. . . and its presence here is my attempt to make amends.


Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway - I Who Have Nothing

Whether you think of the dentist-office classic "Where is The Love" or the funky, sample-driven sounds of "Be Real Black For Me," the opening track on Hathaway and Flack's first collaboration was unjustifiably forced to warm the bench in my house.


War - Flying Machine 

I owe thanks to Doug Smith from 95 North for hipping me to War's "Flying Machine." I had owned the Youngblood soundtrack for maybe ten years before Doug lent a much needed assist. Prior to that, I automatically played the Brand Nubian sample.

From their 1972 release, Bitter Sweet, "No Tears" was lost to "Everybody Plays The Fool." Nevertheless, the writing talents of percussionist Ralph MacDonald and bassist Bill Salter and the introduction of Cuba Gooding, who provided a voice strong enough to clamp down on orchestration that would have drowned out previous lead Don McPherson, take the group's sweet and sometimes saccharine sound into much deeper territory on this one.



The Police - Hole In My Life 

While I am still as committed as ever to "Roxanne," "Hole in My Life" may be the real masterpiece on the album. The way the bass so assuredly carries both the guitar and Sting's vocal on its back make it one of those songs that ends up on repeat whenever I put on Outlandos D'Amour. Add the subtle dub effects toward the bridge, and it's a wrap.




Willie Colon - Junio 73

Like so many of Colon and Lavoe's records, Lo Mato includes more than one classic. "Calle Luna Calle Sol," without question, does the bad man trope better than just about any salsa song before or since. Similarly, "El Dia De Suerte" takes the lament, so common in Latin music, and manages to infuse it with a depth not often reached. From Colon's opening notes, which uncharacteristically play in total isolation, to Lavoe's lyrics (Y la gente decían al verme llorar/No llores nene que tu suerte cambiará/Y ¿cuándo será?), the sense of loneliness is total.

Less popular is "Junio '73," which closes the first side of the LP. Its lack of popularity, however, shouldn't be taken as a reflection of its quality. Taking advantage of both Colon's loose, jazz-infused arrangement and the way Joe Torres' piano ticks along with the precision of a clock, Louie Romero constructs a timbales solo worthy of the pantheon. Romero's timbales are tuned so tight that one can't be sure whether it is the stick or the drum that is doing the hitting. And while the solo is neither as full as Tito Puente's solos nor as funky as Roberto Roena's playing, there is a tension created in which the percussion sounds as if it's trying to escape the piano. Incredible stuff.



The Sylvers - We Can Make It If We Try

I'm pretty sure we can assign all the Pride albums as records overshadowed by the Jackson 5. Nevertheless, Leon Sylvers arrangements are on some other shit. I listen to the first three Sylvers' LPs and am ruined for anything else for at least an hour.  At least. 

The way Sylvers lays the horns deep into the mix while keeping the guitar, drums and vocal upfront is incredible.



Carrie Lucas - Show Me Where You're Coming From

However, Leon Sylver’s post-75 output, what we might call the disco turn, cannot be dismissed. His work with Carrie Lucas ranks with the best of the era!





Donovan - Wear Your Love Like Heaven & Get Thy Bearings


For these two, I had to stretch the parameters a bit past the point of recovery. Neither of the songs are on albums that include Donovan's hits. Yet, the reach of songs like "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman" loom over his catalog in ways that, I think, justify looking beyond the album format and to the larger catalog. Aside from "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" being one of the more beautiful evocations of how love can be physically felt, the song's chorus manages to move slightly to the left of the then ubiquitous pop structures developed by the Beatles without losing the sweetness that the Beatles' domination mandated. In contrast, "Get Thy Bearings" strips itself of all sweetness and leaves only the barest scaffolding on which Donovan's vocal and Harold McNair's sax can utter their respective laments. Indeed, if "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" signifies the whimsy of early romance, "Get Thy Bearings" signals the search for one's self after its been separated from its other.

-L